Friday, August 20, 2010

This Morning !!!

This is the last day of Pingree Camp!  I have been working here each summer for the past six years.  Since I teach at Pingree full-time, it makes for a long year, not having a "traditional" teacher's summer.  Very few teacher's do lie around all summer relaxing, and most take classes or teach summer school.  I do sometimes grit my teeth when the faculty return from the summer and say things like, "WOW.....it feels like I never left".  That's what it has felt like for me for six years.  Now I keep saying to myself that no one has forced me to do this. 

So it is with great pleasure that I have been replaced with a full-time person in charge of the Auxiliary Program.  I can go back to concentrating on teaching and coaching for 12 months out of the year.  I will have to find something for next year to fill the financial void.  I do have some ideas, so I am confident all will work out in the $ department.  I am also excited about putting all of my efforts into the classroom and the varsity swim team here at Pingree.

Anyway, back to the original reason for this post.  As is customary on Friday's during camp, Owen and I visit McDonald's for breakfast prior to camp.  It is a reward for Owen having a good week at camp.  He enjoys it and so do I. 

Anyway this morning we were approached by a mature gentleman (73 years old) who mentioned that he had read the article about me that was in the Salem News 2 weeks ago.  He mentioned he liked the article and then wanted to show me something.  It was an owner's manual for a bike he had just purchased.  He told me that reading that article inspired him to try a triathlon.  He wants to prepare and train and enter a sprint distance triathlon next year.  He said he liked the message he seemed to get from the article, that the only limits that matter are the ones you put on yourself.

WOW, what a great motivator for me as well, as I head up to Timberman this weekend.  It's amazing how your actions in life, though totally unintended, can affect others.

My time for last year's race was 2:36:25.  I have great aspirations of finishing in 2:15:00.  That is a BIG goal, but I took the time to go through each stage of the race and I am determined if the weather holds out as planned (sunny and not too breezy) I can DO IT.  Last year's race was raining for most of the bike and I lost a lot of time fumbling in transition.  Here's hoping, and I know in my heart, if I don't do it, it won't be for lack of trying and preparation.   

2 comments:

  1. Man! That is an awesome feeling to know you made someone believe in themselves to get up and move! Good luck and nothing but positive thoughts towards achieving your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Ecuador! I've been following your blog for a short while. I like your voice, and your story of the day about the 73 yo gentleman is uplifting. I look forward to reading more. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete