Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Less than a week to go until the Katie Lynch Heartbreak Hill 1/2 Marathon

Well, as I promised, I will try and update a little more often.  A lot has happened in the last few weeks since my previous post.  Things at work are starting to lighten up a bit as my AP Calc class had their exam last week.  The end of the year here is kind of chaotic, but the end is in sight.

I've done my best to put in the miles as I prepare for a very challenging race this coming weekend with a total of 22.3 miles in the last 9 days.  I emailed Katie's mom and asked for something to bring on the race, and her mom gladly obliged.  I will really need to draw on my emotional and mental strength this weekend and wanted to carry something from Katie with me as I ran.  Her mom sent me a pin from "Katie's Purple Shoes Challenge" along with one of her magenta socks.  I will either pin these to my shirt or my race number, as long as they are somewhere I can touch while running.  I am confident Katie will be looking down at me cheering me on.  I know I can do this race and finish STRONG.

To that end, I am tapering this week.  I had an AWESOME run last Saturday as I was able to put in 8.7 strong miles in 1:49:15 around the roads of Salem and Beverly.  This run averaged faster than 11.4 min/mile, which is quite a bit faster than I am planning to do on Sunday.  I am hoping to run at 13 min/miles which would put me in at 2:50:18.  That time is more than 20 minutes off of my 1/2 time from September on a much flatter course.  I know it's an aggressive goal, but I know I have put the training and time into this.  I need to be careful as I did not stretch enough after the run on Saturday, and my legs were sore Sunday and Monday. 

They are still a little sore today but I was able to do an easy 2 mile jog/walk this morning.  I am doing my best to stay hydrated all day and will continue to ice them at night.  If the weather holds off, I will ride to work tomorrow and then go for a slightly more aggressive run on Thursday.  Friday will be a swim and Saturday will be a day off of my feet as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment