Friday, April 29, 2011

Spring has Sprung!!

Okay, I know it's been a LONG while since my last post, but I promise as race season gets into full swing, I will keep a little more current with my posts.  Training has been going quite well and now that I am 16 days away from a 1/2 Marathon, I thought I would post an update.

I started my official training for this season back at the beginning of January.   Things have been going quite well, especially after my training plan was tweaked by my good friend, who is also our team captain,  Kurt Maw.

I had my first race of the season back on April 10th.  It was a 5K in Salem, called the Wellness 5K.  Well, things must have been going well, as I finished the race in 39:59.51, which they rounded up to 40:00.  It put me in at 294 out of 312.  That time was a PR beating my previously best time by more than 2 minutes.

The race I am doing on May 15th is called the Katie Lynch Heartbreak Hill 1/2 Marathon.  Katie was an LP I never had the chance to meet, but a number of my friends with District 1 of the LPA knew her quite well.  She passed away in 2003 and this race is now run in honor of her life.  She was an advocate for other LPs and physically challenged athletes as she was determined to make sure there were athletic opportunities for all, regardless of physical limitations.

I promise as the weeks progress into the race season, I will post more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment